Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tips for Living Abroad When You Don't Speak the Language

This is an older post that I forgot to publish.



Would you move to another country if you didn't speak the language? I did and I have to say I'm managing just fine most days. I arrived in Chile two months ago and despite my best intentions I have not signed up for Spanish classes yet. I plan to do it in January which means four months of "Huh? or is it Que?". The point of this topic is not how pathetic my Spanish really is but that you shouldn't let language prevent you from seeing the world. It's okay to screw up, you'll still get where you're going and you'll even eat something along the way.
 A few of my hard earned tips that may be of help or at least amuse you
You have to eat when you're hungry and that includes dishes that have no correlation to beasts or gardens back home.
Always, always carry your own tissues for the bathrooms. Girls, stock up. Bring feminine products from home because they may be hard to find and very expensive.
Not all cities have maps or schedules for their bus system. Find a tourist map, check out major land marks and look for the names in the front of the buses. Even if a bus has a number, you can't look up the route.
When you get on the bus sit near the driver so you can annoy him with your paranoia as to where you get off.
Some buses don't have buzzers that work, look for a long string draped around the top of the windows or annoy the bus driver again. 
Don't assume you pissed the driver off, you're not that important. He's always cranky.
If you tried to pay with the wrong money, laugh and say you for got your glasses. If you're wearing glasses laugh and take them off.
People will stare when they detect Gringo phermones. This is not the time to take out your iphone or netbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment